December 14, 2010

Portland's Fat Community

Portland is great for many things. But on the top of my list would be their strong fat community. It wasn't till I joined an online BBW/FA community that I found so many of these very people in my own backyard so to speak. We arranged dinner meetups that soon turned into group outings for club and bar nights. Some of the activities and events that have graced this city in the past I wish were still around today. Like Fat Girl Speaks, the Cupcake dances and FATASS cheerleaders. All of these great groups and social gatherings that we used to have around portland but seemed to be a thing of the past sadly. But now days we have new events and community get togethers like Chunky Dunks, Fat Fashion & Art Nights, Fat-A-Licious fashion show put on by local plus size clothing boutiques. I have been to all three of these and they were so positive and fun. I love going to events filled with plus size women. The comradery with fellow fatties is just inspiring and uplifting. I'm always hoping Stacy Bias or even (i could only be so lucky) Beth Ditto will attend these seeing as she lives here and has been to some in the past. In the future I plan to attend as many of these from now on as possible and update as they occur. But until then I am going to post some pictures from some that I have already been to.

(Pictures 1. Me and friends at Chunky Dunk. Picture 2. Tim, Wednesday from PLS and me at the Bigger Art Night)




5 comments:

  1. are these forums only Portland Specific? I would love to start attending more events in SO cal and not just their big girl clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just Portland specific, but I am sure there are events going on in So Cal. I would try this site to see if there is anything near you. http://bbw.meetup.com/ If not, you should organize a meetup in your area. Post about it on all the web forums for more exposure! I've done that a few times and met some great people that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya
    I just found your blog and im now following . I think its amazing you make your own clothing. Your personality shines through your designs i love them xx keep up the good work at sewing classes xxx

    www.justbeingme27.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joanna!! I will make sure to follow your blog too. Thanks for the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawna - I was just having a rough day (got fat-shamed four different times today, all by kids, believe it or not!) and decided to go surf the Internet for fat fashion bloggers who are my size so as to remind myself how fucking hot and fierce we are. I found your blog and was flipping through, loving all of your fabulous fashion and imagine my surprise to see my name here. Just wanted to say that I'm really glad that the PDX fat community is helpful to you and let you know that your blog today was a huge help to me! Thanks for doing what you do and representing for big fat fashion! xoxo - Stacy

    ReplyDelete