April 10, 2011

Hunting and Gathering

So my main goal for 2011 has been to start making clothes to sell.  My biggest problem in the past besides lack of discipline was lack of funds.  Contrary to what my husband thinks, it costs a fair bit of money to make about 12 pieces of clothing.  SO I have been saving money, buying bits of fabric here and there and I think I have come to a point where I have a good amount to start with!  I have a real thing for stretch fabric since I'm a chubster and I enjoy movement in my clothes.  I have a tons of stretch knit fabrics, a few spandex pieces and some stretch denim.  Put it all together you have a rather wild mix of fabrics that will hopefully get my shit in gear.
I have decided that I will make 3 pairs of leggings (at least), 3 hoodies, 2 dresses, 3 skirts, 2-3 tops, 2 bathing suits and some panties.  A tall order considering I still feel new to all this and I'm still getting my polishing skills down.  I have to take all my fabrics I'm going to use,  match them to which piece of clothing I'm making them into, find the patterns and figure which sizes will be the best bet.  Also figure out how much everything will cost.  Thats the shit part.  I don't want to over charge and come off as some chick who thinks her shit dont stink.  But I also don't want to lose money.  So much to do!
Here are some of my fabrics I have obtained over the past few months and a few links to where I got them!

Fabric.com
Fabric Junkeez
Fabric Depot
Joann Fabrics







4 comments:

  1. (found your blog through craftster)

    I can't wait to see what you make!! It's incredible how much making clothes costs- even if you don't start from scratch and just recon. It gets so pricey!

    I really love the lip print fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am here via Craftster... and I also love the lip print. (Damn you Meg Needles for stealing my thoughts. lol)

    I love that random, multicolored stripey fabric too.

    I'm excited to see what you make- it's always awesome to see fun new plus-size stuff offfered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. same as Meg I found you on Craftster! A fellow Fatty Clothing Maker! Yay! I can't wait to see it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, just curious where you got your giant polka dot fabric from and what kind of fabric it actually is? I've been searching high and low and I can't find any!

    ReplyDelete