June 01, 2011

I Make The Pretties But Never Seem To Wear Them

I love seeing black and white vertical stripe dresses out now in clothes.  I have seen them on tumblr, in magazines and all over the net.  Sadly I had yet to find something I liked in my size or in my size period.  So I went to fabric.com (a great site with excellent deals) and found some stretch fabric.  When it arrives the stripes were a bit smaller than I had originally planned or wanted but in the end I didn't want to waste the fabric or let it stop me.

I also didn't want to spend time working on a pattern.  I just wanted the dress.  So I took a tight fitting t-shirt and a stretch pencil skirt that I already had in my wardrobe, laid the fabric on the table folded and folded the top and skirt in half down the center laying it's fold on the stripe fabric fold.   Then just messed with the silohette till I got what I was going for, moved the skirt up a bit higher to create a shorter skirt on the dress and there it was.  Last step was folding the t-shirt sleeve in on the original arm hole line.  Practically a pattern in itself when I was done and no paper wasted!   I then just eyeballed about 1/2 an inch seam allowance around the outside of shirt and skirt.

After hemming, cutting the top off and adding elastic at the top this is the final product.  I am considering adding some black ruffled lace at the bottom with a shorter piece of the stripe fabric on top of it, giving it a more girlie out on the town look.

The next dress I am working on is for a friend to hopefully wear to the BBW Vegas bash this summer.  I have the pattern all ready, I just need to buckle down and cut it out.   This is the first time I'm making a dress for someone else so I am a bit nervous.  Hopefully she will like it when I am finished and if she doesn't hopefully she won't tell me how shit it is.  J/k... kinda of.   And of course I will post many pics of it on here.  But this is the pattern I'm basing it off of.  There will be no gathering in the bust and the skirt will be form fitting and less flowy.  This is also the fabric she chose.


I also just got a package of fabric in the mail for me to work on after that last dress.  I saw this picture online and knew I needed to try and make a fat version of it.  So I have all the fabrics ready, now just need to get other projects done first!  I am so excited for it though.  How cute right?


And yay!!  Good news, my husband has decided to move out... of the office that is. Hehe.  It's getting a bit cramped in here.  I take over about 80% of the room with my supplies, tables, shelves and storage containers.  He's decided since we don't use out dining room for anything that will be his new office.  Which means MORE ROOM FOR MY SHIIIIIT!  I bought a rolling rack so I can hang the clothes I make up now.  Got the idea from GabiFresh on tumblr.  Super cheap and will make a huge difference for me.  Here is a pic I took of it after I put it together.  I felt so accomplished.  Note the table covered in fabrics screaming at me "Make me into something woman!"  I can't wait to post the before and after pics of the revamped room.  Hell I might post pics of the whole apartment.  I am making curtains for all the windows so it's a good excuse to show it all off.







5 comments:

  1. i love it! you look so pretty btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! all of it! I wish I lived up there by you, doll. So many ideas and inspirations! Thank you for sharing 'em! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that nautical dress! Make me one? lol. It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete