June 11, 2011

It's Fleet Week!

I think it's perfect timing that I finished this dress today and we have sailors in town for the Rose Festival here in Portland.  I set out to make a dress just like one I found randomly online in a google search and I managed to make it pretty well!  The girl of course was of average size and the fabric was the best matches I could get considering I was shopping on a budget and online.  I brought the waist of the skirt up to a full on empire waist which I feel looks more flattering on my body type.  But here is the final product in comparison to the inspired picture.





I wish I had a better picture of my dress but this is all I have at the moment.  A few things I could have changed a bit about my dress in comparison to the other is wider sleeves (which I would have lived but didn't realize till I already cut), made the skirt itself a tad shorter and made the white ruffles a bit longer.  All in all I don't think I did half bad with this considering I had no pattern and was basing it off of a picture.

My next project was to be the dress I was commissioned to make but spandexworld.com sent me the wrong fabric.  This was such a ridiculous ordeal.  I ordered fabric samples from them for 3 different fabrics.  Got it and my customer picked out the cream colored fabric for her dress.  I placed an order for it only a few days later and yesterday I received a box of yellow fabric.  Same style with the sequins but the fabric was so very yellow.  holding them up for comparison there was no mistake it was the wrong fabric.  Of course I got the package at 6 pm west coast and the company is on the east cost so they were closed.  I called them today to set this mess up straight only to speak to the customer service man from hell.  Making him realize you don't give someone a fabric swatch and then send them an entirely new batch of fabric that doesn't match and then tell me it's not THEIR fault.  So sorry, but whose fault is it then?  I demanded that I get an exchange processing asap and that I wont be paying for overnight shipping to get it to me.  They said I needed to send the wrong fabric back first for them to process it and then they would send me the new cut.  No. No. No. NO!  With  much arguing and him talking to his supervisor they said I could only order the new fabric if I ordered a new fabric swatch from them first to make sure this didn't happen again and not only that if I wanted it next day I would have to pay 15 dollars for it.  A 4 inch square piece of fabric.  Also that I would have to place this on Monday.
I am so torn with them.  I have never had issues with them before with fabric quality, shipping, stock, anything.  So this is something that has really made me reconsider dealing with them in the future.

So while I'm waiting for that to resolve I will be working with the other package I received from them containing my stretch lace yardage.  They were perfect.  Exactly what I ordered.  Yay!  The purple is for leggings which I should have done by the end of the weekend and the blue I was thinking leggings (which would be hot imo) but I have been seeing lace body suits online a lot lately and I would just DIE if I could somehow get myself a blue one.   So thats what I am going to be sketching out tonight after I post all this.  Here are a couple pictures of the fabric.  I will post more on the spandexworld.com situation and update on the body suit if I can accomplish it.



8 comments:

  1. Shawna, you are so incredibly talented. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO WAY you made that? Without a pattern? WOW, you have some serious skills! And you look fantastic, even better than the model in my opinion. Wow wow wow. I know I'm going to absolutely love (and be totes jealous of) your blog ;)

    Lauren xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look amazing! I love that dress! Your talent is limitless! You made that from a picture?! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally want that dress. Can I have it please???

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing job. also that girl is NOT average size, she's prolly a 0 or a 2. just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!!!!! i absolutelly love it! i actually thought it is the same dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You done a great job, and it's uber cute. May have a bash at it myself one day when I get more experienced.

    ReplyDelete