January 19, 2012

DIY Shoe Makeover

I bought a pair of black open toe wedges over 5 years ago and after the first year of wearing them, all they did was just sit around and collect dust in my closet.  Many times I considered donating them since I wasn't wearing them but something told me to keep them just in case.  Normally I don't listen to that little voice as it leads me to be a pack rat but I'm glad I did on this occasion.


I took a look at my current craft supplies to see if anything inspired me and with my Mod Podge, Acrylic spray and a small bottle of glitter I  knew exactly what I could use these shoes for.  A shoe makeover!  So I went out the next day and purchased the biggest container of chunky gold glitter I could find.  I'll give you a step-by-step process of how I did this DIY.

Supplies-
Old Dress Shoes (Check your closet for a pair you never wear or hit up Goodwill)
Mod Podge
Sponge brush
Lots of Glitter
Acrylic Spray
Spray Paint (optional)

The nice thing about these supplies is you won't actually end up using much of any of them when the project is done so you have plenty left over for future projects.



Step 1-  (This step is once again optional so if you don't want to do this portion skip on to step 3)  Spray paint wedges outside or in a room with lots of air flow.  It's going to smell for a while to so no matter where you spray it either lay something underneath the shoes so you don't spray the floor or grass.  I didn't bother to tape anything up since the top is black anyway and will be covered up soon with glitter.  Easy peasy.


Step 2-  Let dry over night.  Super boring step.

Step 3- Once completely cleaned and dry, stuff the inside of shoe with paper towels or scrap fabric to protect the inside of the shoes.  Keep that large sheet of paper or newspaper down under the shoes to catch any drippings of glue and loose glitter which you will collect at the end to put the extra back in the container.  Waste not want not.

Step 4- Take  your sponge brush and spread a decent/semi thick and even coat of mod podge to one half of the shoe.  Front to back or side to side, it doesn't matter.  Just make sure you get it even.

Step 5- Sprinkle glitter over the podged area making sure to cover every bit of glue.

Step 6- Gently put it down  and let it dry for about 20 minutes.  Go make a snack or call a friend and brag about how fucking hot your "new" shoes are going to be.

Step 7- Give the wedge (non glitter area) a few gentle taps to shake any lose glitter off onto your paper underneath and repeat on the other side.

Step 8- Once all of the shoe is covered in glitter and dried check for any bald patches and touch up areas.  If everything looks great take those bad boys outside of to the garage still with paper underneath and spray the shoes all over with a good long dose of the acrylic spray.  This stuff will hold that glitter in place like a rock and still give your shoes great shine.  In the end I waited till it was dry and gave it one more coat just to be safe.

Make sure you are getting lots of fresh air while doing this project.  There are lots of fumes involved.

Project complete!  You now have a brand new stylish pair of shoes that will spruce up any outfit.  Not to mention what a great conversation piece they are when you get to tell everything how you turned those shoes from shit to chic!






8 comments:

  1. OH.MY.GOD.

    That is amazing.

    http://turquoiseandtangerine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this on tumblr before (the idea) and leave it to you to actually do it - I love the way this turned out! ^_^ Fab, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a good idea! I need to find a pair of shoes to do this to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't explain the level of SQUEEEEEEEE this makes me feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute!! also..i tagged you on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it!!!!!!!! <3 will do,definitly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to try now! *raids closet*

    ReplyDelete