March 07, 2012

Batiks in Bloom

I used to work in a fabric warehouse that sold mostly quilting fabrics and notions.  Quilting never really was something that struck my interest,  at least not in the same way sewing and designing clothes did.  I was limited on what I could buy, to makes clothes with, while working there since not many fabrics stretched and I love fabrics that are comfortable.  I did however fall in love with Batiks.  These beautiful dipped dyed fabrics that I got to see come right off the 10,000 yard rolls into my department to be made into sample swatch kits.  I knew I wanted to work with Batiks more.  Their feel, weight, designs, colors,  everything about them was appealing.

Fast forward about 8 years later,  I was shopping in Fabric Depot and I saw a Batik that caught my eye.  The colors and patterns reminded of me a city scape at dusk.  I wanted it right then and there only to find out it's 109 inches wide.  It was actually made for a quilt back.  Which to me was a double score since that meant twice as much fabric!

Recently I have been working on full circle skirts to sell in my shop and oh darn, I just have to experiment with fabrics for girls around my size.  So I used my killer find of a Batik and sure enough, the pattern for my size uses quite a bit of fabric. So the extra width was perfect and it turned out exactly as I had hoped!   So on this glorious early spring day we are having here in Portland I thought I would take the opportunity to get some pictures of my todays fabulous outfit.

OOTD Details-
Skirt-  DIY
Shirt- Target
Belt- Torrid
Tights- OneStopPlus
Shoes- Target
Ring- ChubbyCartwheels.com
Glasses- Coastal.com
Necklace- Thrifted









I also put out a new item in my store on March 1st.  Velvet Leggings!  Yes!  They are so fabulous and soft.  I can't say enough good things about them.  They come in 7 different colors, sizes 14-32 and are only $40 dollars.  I hope you like them!  More new items to come very soon!  www.ChubbyCartwheels.com



6 comments:

  1. I love that skirt and when you're ready to start selling those in your shop I'm going to be all over it!!! Circle skirts and dresses are my absolute favorite and the one you've made is just divine!
    ♡ Brooke
    prettypennymae.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a gorg outfit! im still waiting on getting that ring!

    K xo
    cruiserdolly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a fan of batiks, I guess, but I love the length and shape of that skirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favourite blog posts! I'm going to have to get a pair of those leggings. I also want the lace body suit and circle skirt - guh! I have some shopping to do soon! <3

    http://www.theglitterthread.com/
    http://skorchmagazine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the skirt! Great fabric and shape. Lovin your blog... thanks!

    ReplyDelete